I am Self-Employed, do I have to pay taxes?

I am Self-Employed, do I have to pay taxes?

Self-employment tax refers to the taxes that are remitted by individuals who work as freelancers or independent contractors. This tax amount encompasses the Social Security and Medicare taxes. For the tax year 2023, the self-employment tax rate stands at 15.3%. 

Being a freelancer or independent contractor offers numerous advantages, such as the ability to oversee your own work, set your own schedule, and establish your business according to your preferences. However, being a self-employed entrepreneur also entails certain difficulties, with one of the most significant being the obligation to pay taxes. 

During tax season, you will be accountable for a greater portion of state and federal income taxes. This is due to the fact that you are responsible for paying both your self-employment tax and your standard income tax. If you are not cautious, you may be confronted with a substantial tax bill.


Self-Employment Deductions

One of the advantages of being self-employed is the ability to deduct various expenses, resulting in a reduction of net earnings and tax burden. It is crucial to ensure that all legally entitled tax deductions are utilized. Some of the most significant deductions include the home office deduction, which requires the space to be used exclusively and regularly for business purposes. Additionally, travel and vehicle expenses, such as flights, hotel stays, car rentals, and train tickets, can be deducted. If a personal vehicle is used for business purposes, a portion of the miles travelled, repairs, and related expenses can also be deducted. Meals purchased for business purposes can be deducted at a rate of 50%, but meals consumed at home are not eligible. Self-employed individuals may also be able to deduct their health insurance premiums. Finally, rent payments for office space or equipment storage can also be deducted.


How to file Self-Employment Tax

When commencing a small business without incorporating or forming a partnership, it is customary to report the outcomes of your operations on Schedule C and subsequently file it with your Form 1040. The calculation of your self-employment tax is performed on Schedule SE, and the resulting amount is reported in the “Other Taxes” section of Form 1040. This approach enables the IRS to distinguish the SE tax from the income tax. Individuals are permitted to claim a deduction of 50% of their self-employment tax payments as an income tax deduction on Form 1040. This deduction is applicable regardless of whether they choose to itemize their deductions.



The process of filing income taxes becomes increasingly intricate when one’s income is derived from self-employment and the individual is accountable for remitting the self-employment tax. However, adherence to the prescribed regulations and availing oneself of the permissible deductions can alleviate some of the ambiguity and mitigate the annual tax liability to the Internal Revenue Service.


Contact us today at Profit Wise to get started! Call us at 256-489-1478 or schedule a consultation here.